Sunday, April 18, 2010

We have had a very sad weekend

My dear and doting Grandad passed away on Thursday evening.  It was very unexpected and a massive shock to the system.  In just 2 weeks we were due to all get the ferry to Scotland, where he lived with my Granny, to throw a surprise party for the two of them for their golden anniversary.  I'm gutted that he didn't get to have this massive party... and one last chance to see everyone who loved him.  He would have been so overwhelmed and excited that everyone had come the long distances for a party in his and my Granny's honor.  My Granny and Grandad did get to celebrate their anniversary which was the 7th April.  I'm so glad they got to have that time together.  My Granny and my aunts and uncles were all at his bedside when they turned the life support machine off.

My Granny was told of the intended surprise party and instead, we will be having a memorial service on the Saturday and we will still go to the party to celebrate his life.

Ollie is so lucky to have met his Great-Grandad not once but twice.  We went to visit them in Scotland when Ollie was just 3 months old and we had a wonderful holiday.  They were then able to come here for a visit for Ollie's first birthday.  A lot of people don't get the chance to meet their grand-parents, but I'm so glad that I have the photos to show Ollie.

It is very surreal knowing I will never see him again.  He was a wonderful Grandad, full of bedtime stories, hilarious games and so so knowledgeable.  


10 comments:

  1. Sorry for your sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family during this precious time.

    Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emma, I am so sorry for the loss of your lovely Grandad. Cherish the memories you have and the stories you can pass on to Ollie about him ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry honey! I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma, I'm sorry for the sudden passing of your grandad. Think about all the great family moments that you had with him...and even the times that Ollie got to spend with him. Beautiful memories, will never be forgotten.

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture of your baby bad Grandad. Very sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for you loss. It is always hard to lose someone your love. I am so thankful your grandmothter was able to celebrate their anniversary with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry for your loss... I thought I would brighten your day. I have something for you on my blog ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry, Emma. He sounds like a wonderful person who Ollie is lucky to have met. I hope you will all truly be able to celebrate his life and remember him with a smile! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss! =(

    ReplyDelete