Thursday, May 8, 2008

A nice taxi ride



This morning I had an appointment at the midwives clinic.... sometimes I walk, but today I got a taxi.  The taxi driver opened the door for me and had the biggest grin on my face. I beamed back thinking that his smile had something to do with the glorious weather we have been having here in Dublin. As I sat down he asked me gently, "when is the little one coming along then?". There started a wonderful conversation with a father of 4. He praised me on my decision to be a stay at home mum saying his wife giving up work and him taking up extra shifts was the best move he ever made. He told me about the confidence his children have and he firmly believes it is because his wife is able to stay at home and care for them. The taxi driver just glowed. He told me about the happy feeling he gets when he arrives home from work and has his 4 children all run to cuddle and play with him and how loved it makes him feel to know they are excited he is home.

When he told me he had 4 children, I gasped and mentioned how I don't know if I could do pregnancy that many times... maybe just once more, and he said just to wait and see. He said that when you have children there is nothing else in the world that matters more and nothing else that will bring more joy and that my feelings of having just 2 will change when I see how incredible parenthood is.

When I was getting out of the car he wished me the best of luck and said he hoped that the birth and everything goes well. He then told me I will make a wonderful mother.

I don't normally talk to the taxi drivers... but this man was just so made up by the fact that he had 4 children and they brought him all the happiness, joy and excitement he could ever ask for and it really warmed my heart!

1 comment:

  1. That's a really heartwarming story. Things are fine here for now. I have a doctor's appt on Monday to see whether or not he is still breech, so I'm just worried about that. Everything else is good though. I'm glad that whatever happened on Monday was just a scare and nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete